In Dunedin in 1933, Jules Fulton and Bob Hogan teamed up to start their own contracting business. Times were tough, and they wanted to play a part in building a prosperous country. Through strong teamwork and a desire to get things done, they created the foundations of a company that continues to do good work. Today, Fulton Hogan employs more than 7,800 people across New Zealand, Australia and the South Pacific. We continue to enjoy strong support from both of our founding families as major shareholders in Fulton Hogan. We’re also very pleased to say that over a quarter of our people are shareholders in our public non-listed company. Click the dates below to view a few of the milestones we've achieved during our journey!

1930s

1933

Jules & Bob

Jules and Bob commence partnership with “a repair job" on the road to Mosgiel, using an old Boothmac sprayer they bought for £5 and a bitumen kettle towed behind their only vehicle, Bob Hogan’s Willys-Knight car.

Fulton Hogan registered

Fulton Hogan registered on 30 December 1935, with capital of £10,000

1935

1940s

1940

First airport contract

First airport contract with the surfacing of the Taieri aerodrome

Diversified into lime business

Diversified into lime business at Fernhill Limeworks in Southland (using working horses for the only time in the company’s history)

1941

1944

Cast coalmine started

Nile Hydro open cast coal mine started on West Coast (operated for 12 years)

1948

Sealing crew

*Back Row from left: Jim McNamara, Alan Meikle, Bob Hogan, Ray Betton, Lou Connor(s), Jim Walker, Joe Johnston.

Front Row: Bill Robins, Bob Harvey, Jack Campbell, Gordon Lane, Fred Anderson, Alan Campbell.

In front: Gordon Chisholm

1950s

1950

Fairfield Asphalt Started

The company's first asphalt business.

Fulton Hogan Holdings incorporated

1952

1954

Walton Park sand was aquired

Walton Park sand was acquired – a significant sand plant

1955

Maxwell Brothers Merged

Maxwell Bros (trucking company with eight trucks) merged into Fulton Hogan

Sealed Mossburn
to Te Anau highway

Sealed the main highway from Mossburn to Te Anau (59km)

1955-1959

1960s

1964

Purchased Via Nova from Denmark

Purchase of a Via Nova semi automatic “mobile” 50t/hr asphalt plant from Denmark

Extended into waste management

Maxwell Bros extend into the waste management business
(with one waste disposal truck and 20 bins)

1968

1970s

1970

South Island expansion

Expansion out of Otago / Southland into Nelson with 50% acquisition of Tasman Asphalt. First “region” to be established outside Otago / Southland

Staff Share Scheme started

1972

1976

First Big Port Job

Upgrade of Port Chalmers container terminal.

1977

Acknowledged long serving staff

25 year club started with 16 gold watches handed out (people would have started in 1952)

First office computer set up

First computing system installed and departmental structure started

1978

1980s

1981

Pavroc Holding shares

First acquisition of shares in Pavroc Holdings (now Fulton Hogan's Canterbury region)

Shell takes 25% stake in Fulton Hogan

1981

1981

Expansion to Australia

Fulton Hogan commences operations in Australia for the first time with the formation of Rowe Asphalt in Brisbane

1981

First forestry acquisition

First pacific island project

with the overlay of Nadi Airport in Fiji

1983

1989

Expansion into upper North Island

Expansion into Auckland, Waikato and Northland with acquisition of Reliable Roads

1989

Shell takes 38% stake in
Fulton Hogan

1990s

1993

Fulton Hogan begins land development for the first time

Fulton Hogan enters civil construction

for first time with acquisition of Husband Construction

1995

1998

STAYSAFE programme commences

2000s

2000

Growth in Australian business

Acquisition of Standard Roads / Astec represents step change in size of operations in Australia

Expanded into Western Australia

through road maintenance contracts

2003

2009

1000 new staff members

in Australia with the acquisition of Pioneer Road Services

2010s

2013

Celebrated 80+ years of Years Of Operation

100 new staff in Tasmania

With the acquisition of Venarchie Contracting in Tasmania, we are now present in all states of Australia.

2017

2018

Entered the concrete market

Acquisition of Stevenson’s four ready-mix plants, Drury Quarry, transport and laboratory business

1930s

1933

Jules & Bob

Jules and Bob commence partnership with “a repair job" on the road to Mosgiel, using an old Boothmac sprayer they bought for £5 and a bitumen kettle towed behind their only vehicle, Bob Hogan’s Willys-Knight car.

1935

Fulton Hogan registered

Fulton Hogan registered on 30 December 1935, with capital of £10,000

1940s

1940

First airport contract

First airport contract with the surfacing of the Taieri aerodrome

1941

Diversified into lime business

Diversified into lime business at Fernhill Limeworks in Southland (using working horses for the only time in the company’s history)

1944

Cast coalmine started

Nile Hydro open cast coal mine started on West Coast (operated for 12 years)

1948

Sealing crew

*Back Row from left: Jim McNamara, Alan Meikle, Bob Hogan, Ray Betton, Lou Connor(s), Jim Walker, Joe Johnston.

Front Row: Bill Robins, Bob Harvey, Jack Campbell, Gordon Lane, Fred Anderson, Alan Campbell.

In front: Gordon Chisholm

1950s

1950

Fairfield Asphalt Started

The company's first asphalt business.

1952

Fulton Hogan Holdings incorporated

1954

Walton Park sand was aquired

Walton Park sand was acquired – a significant sand plant

1955

Maxwell Brothers Merged

Maxwell Bros (trucking company with eight trucks) merged into Fulton Hogan

1955-1959

Sealed Mossburn
to Te Anau highway

Sealed the main highway from Mossburn to Te Anau (59km)

1960s

1964

Purchased Via Nova from Denmark

Purchase of a Via Nova semi automatic “mobile” 50t/hr asphalt plant from Denmark

1968

Extended into waste management

Maxwell Bros extend into the waste management business
(with one waste disposal truck and 20 bins)

1970s

1970

South Island expansion

Expansion out of Otago / Southland into Nelson with 50% acquisition of Tasman Asphalt. First “region” to be established outside Otago / Southland

1972

Staff Share Scheme started

1976

First Big Port Job

Upgrade of Port Chalmers container terminal.

1977

Acknowledged long serving staff

25 year club started with 16 gold watches handed out (people would have started in 1952)

1978

First office computer set up

First computing system installed and departmental structure started

1980s

1981

Pavroc Holding shares

First acquisition of shares in Pavroc Holdings (now Fulton Hogan's Canterbury region)

1981

Shell takes 25% stake in Fulton Hogan

1981

Expansion to Australia

Fulton Hogan commences operations in Australia for the first time with the formation of Rowe Asphalt in Brisbane

1981

First forestry acquisition

1983

First pacific island project

with the overlay of Nadi Airport in Fiji

1989

Expansion into upper North Island

Expansion into Auckland, Waikato and Northland with acquisition of Reliable Roads

1989

Shell takes 38% stake in
Fulton Hogan

1990s

1993

Fulton Hogan begins land development for the first time

1995

Fulton Hogan enters civil construction

for first time with acquisition of Husband Construction

1998

STAYSAFE programme commences

2000s

2000

Growth in Australian business

Acquisition of Standard Roads / Astec represents step change in size of operations in Australia

2003

Expanded into Western Australia

through road maintenance contracts

2009

1000 new staff members

in Australia with the acquisition of Pioneer Road Services

2010s

2013

Celebrated 80+ years of Years Of Operation

2017

100 new staff in Tasmania

With the acquisition of Venarchie Contracting in Tasmania, we are now present in all states of Australia.

2018

Entered the concrete market

Acquisition of Stevenson’s four ready-mix plants, Drury Quarry, transport and laboratory business