The first crane has been assembled and is scheduled for its first lift this coming 1 May 2017. The second crane should be upright not long after Anzac Day with a further three weeks for commissioning.
Working 50 metres above the ground, the cranes will be used to widen the bridge in the centre by connecting the two bridges together. Since these cranes operate remotely, it gives the driver greater visibility creating a safer environment for all workers and motorists.
The M80 Ring Road will be widened from two to four lanes at Sunshine Avenue, and from three to five lanes over the EJ Whitten Bridge, right through to the Calder Freeway. This construction method will allow lanes on the bridges to remain open whilst minimising disruption.
Gantry Crane Statistics
- Maximum lift capacity – 65 tonnes
- Machine weight – 48 tonnes
- Internal clear span – 15m
- Dual hoist – One at 65T with limited side shift and one at 5T with full side shift
- Master / Slave function that allows single control during dual lift
- Line following capability for steering